Actively seek support from friends, colleagues, and family. Don’t be a Lone Ranger.
Take responsibility for making your life what you want it to be. It is more empowering to feel a sense of control and to make decisions. Commit to what you want and take action.
Need some quick relief?
Put a copy of this brief exercise on your desk or tape it to the inside of your briefcase. It only takes a minute to renew your energy.
Brief Relax/Refresher for Attorneys
1. Find yourself a comfortable position with as few distractions as possible.
2. Gently close your eyes and focus your attention inward.
3. Imagine a radiant light releasing your stress.
4. Take a few slow easy breaths, taking air in through your nose and exhaling through your mouth
5. Say to yourself, “Alert mind, calm body.”
6. Now take a deep, soothing breath all the way down to your abdomen.
7. As you exhale, let your facial muscles, neck and shoulders relax.
8. Feel a wave of warmth and heaviness sweep down to your toes.
9. Allow the relaxation to re-energize your body and mind.
10. Slowly open your eyes, stretch, and ease back into normal activities.
Stress is a natural response within all of us and it can serve as a valuable source of increased energy and creativity. When coupled with an optimistic attitude, positive or eustress can help you accomplish the things in life that are most important. However, knowing how to manage unwanted stress and relax is essential to your enjoyment of life.
Remember that you are in charge of your own physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health. You can choose to be happy, healthy, and relaxed.
Dr. Maynard Brusman is a consulting psychologist and executive coach. He has an executive coaching practice in the San Francisco Financial District specializing in working with attorneys.
Download Article 1K Club