Following are several sets of more specific probing questions to be posed regarding each of the three domains:
The Domain of intentions [The Desired state]
- How would you know if you have been successful in this endeavor?
- What would make you happy?
- Who else has an investment in this project and what do they want to happen?
- What would happen if you did not achieve this goal?
- What would happen if you did achieve this goal?
- What scares you most about not achieving this goal?
- What scares you most about achieving this goal?
The Domain of information [Current state]
- What are the most salient facts with regard to the circumstance in which you now find yourself?
- What are the “facts” about which you are most uncertain at the present time? How could you check on the validity of these facts?
- What are alternative ways in which you could interpret the meaning or implications of the facts that you do believe to be valid?
The Problem [gap between Current and Desired state]
- How do you know that there is a problem here?
- To what extent do other people see this as a problem? If they don’t, why don’t they?
- How long has this problem existed? How big is it? Is there any pattern with regard to its increase or decrease in magnitude?
- What are the primary cause(s) of the problem? What is different when the problem does and does not exist? What remains the same whether or not the problem exists?
- Who benefits from the continuing existence of the problem? In what ways do you benefit (even indirectly) from the continuing existence of this problem?
- What will you miss if and when this problem is resolved?